And you know what that means: time to get your read on.
Ok, all the time is time to get your read on, but summer is where I'm a Viking! It's hot, I don't want to go outside for any reason, but when I do it's for long periods of time wherein I'm trying to avoid talking to people (see: pool, camping). That means I save summer for reading some Big Ass Books because nothing's more intimidating than a tiny woman with Bitchy Resting Face reading a book she could use as a weapon. So here's my tentative summer reading list (all of these are new reads):
1. The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber because second person Victoriana! Why not!
2. Dombey and Son by Charles Dickens. Soooo I've sort of been saving the last few Dickens books that I haven't read because WHEN I FINISH THEM I WILL HAVE READ THEM ALL AND THEN I WILL CRY. I also haven't watched the last episode of Star Trek: Next Generation for the same reason. But that's wussy and I need to get over it.
3. Red Moon by Benjamin Percy. I have a weakness for "literary genre" (a la The Passage and The Last Werewolf) so this seems right up my alley. Baaassically werewolves are A Thing In Modern Times and they have to be "registered" and "tagged" and I guess start their own nation (I'm sure where you can see where this is going) so I'm going to read the shiz out of it.
4. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak OK FINE WORLD I WILL READ IT BUT DON'T EXPECT ME TO CRY. And in case you're wondering, it's 550 pages so it totally counts.
5. Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke because see above re: pressure from the world. I guess there's magic? And it's summer, so magic is less annoying than in the winter when I'm all NOTHING IS MAGICAL I AM COLD AND GRUMPY.
I'm only committing to five Big Ass Books because, ya know, life and stuff. I do plan to read a few smaller books; mainly Tampa by Alissa Nutting because I've heard All The Buzz and also James Salter's All That Is for the same reason.
Es todo! What are ya'll reading this summer? Do you also use large books as a hiding place from pool talkers? SPILL.