Thursday, September 1, 2011

Things I Like So You Must Also Like Them Because That's How This Works, Right? RIGHT?!

Ahem.

I love these:

Photo totally stolen from Scout Books website pleasedon'tsueme

So Scout Books sent me some of these ITTY BITTY pocket short stories that they are starting to produce. They are WEE and fit in various bags and garments, and are CUTE. The series is a collection of iconic American shorts paired with contemporary illustrators. I got Rip Van Winkle (which I had never actually read ERGH) and An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge, which is the short story most likely to leave you making ah AGHAST face. Anywoot, the series also has some Fitzgerald and The Yellow Wallpaper which is one of the creepiest things ever ever, so yeah. Check them out here.

THING TWO WHICH I LOVE:

Audiobooks. "What," you say. "You've just now started listening to audiobooks?" Well, look, judgey McInternetPants, the answer is both yes and no. I've always taken an audiobook with me on long roadtrips wherein I have to remain awake in order to not die in a flaming ball of sleepy-car-wreckage, but I have recently started listening to them all the time. Whilst doing dishes. Whilst feeding babies. Whilst driving. AND. AND. They are making me like books I didn't like beforeokaymaybejustonebook. I've started listening to The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn because I hate reading dialogue and therefore hate reading that, which is sad because THE SARCASM, it oozes! Anywoot, I have no problem understanding spoken dialects, so hey. THIS IS WIN. 

So that's all. Go get those little books (great booky gifts) and tell me that you are also audiobook lovers. TELL ME.

16 comments:

  1. Those pocket short stories are adorable! They seem like a great thing to stash in your car or purse for those times when you find yourself with a few extra minutes and nothing to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am an audio lover, yes! Also a recent convert. First I discovered I could use all that commuting time to "read," then the gym time (on the machines, I'm rehabbing my knee right now), and THEN I discovered that with earbuds I can listen ("read") during my longish talk to and from the parking garage at work. So much reading time discovered! Love audiobooks, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh! Those books do look very lovely! I actual love the little colour tabs, and love that the Yellow Wallpaper is yellow. Duh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love those little short stories! It's going to take a lot of self restraint not to buy them all up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need these. Oh my goodness do I need these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been listening to Dracula by Bram Stoker, and I realized that I prefer to listen to this one than to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently really got into audiobooks as well. I really love when it's the author who does the reading because then you get exactly how the author intended it to be read. Neil Gaiman is a favorite when it comes to audio.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a recent audiobook convert. It used to feel like cheating-how can I say that I "read" a book if I didn't "read" the book? But as I get older I've found that just listening to music while driving is not enough cognitive stimulation, if you will. So now, I'm an audiobook fan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love audiobooks. I started with strict rules, I would only listen to "paperbacks" such as Michael Connelly etc, but then I started downloading classics. I feel a bit of irrational guilt about this, as though I should be doing the hard yards and reading books like Barnaby Rudge.

    I listened to the most captivating version of Wharton's The House of Mirth, the reading leant a sepia tone to the whole story that I wouldn't have gotten just reading it.

    I don't get frustrated when sitting in traffic now, because I always have a book to listen to.

    Glad you love them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those little pocket stories are a great idea, and the two on top (Owl Creek and Yellow Wallpaper) are two of my favorites... I'll have to check these out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love those books! Adorable!

    Congratulations on your BBAW Short List nomination today as well! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just stopped by to say congrats on your shortlisting :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I recently popped my audio book cherry when I had some boring DIY to do and didn't want to feel like I was completely wasting my life painting things, and it was AWESOME! I not only did useful but boring DIY, but I read a whole book! This is what multitasking was invented for. I still save the books I'm really excited about for hard copy, but I'm definitely an audiobook convert and I've discovered I can download them from my library for free, which basically rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am! I am an audiobook listener! I make up chores around the house just so I can listen longer. LOVE them. Welcome to the club.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Um. Must have those itty bitty books. Off to order. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete