Thursday, September 15, 2011

BBAW Day 4: I Readz What I Wantz.

How has blogging changed my reading/book buying habits?

Er. Well, let us do a little switchy-switch and talk about the second question, first. The main thing becoming a book blogger has done to my book buying habits is made me CEASE AND DESIST buying books from Amazon. When I do pay full price for a book (which is uh rarely), I get it from an independent book store. Before I became a blogger, I didn't know jack diddly squat about how Amazon is actually the Voldemort of the book world, or about how supporting indie book sellers is so essential.

That being said, I still get most of my books from Bookmooch, library sales, or thrift stores. What can I say? Fifty cents is fifty cents. I was going to say that becoming a book blogger has increased the number of books I buy, but that would be a big dose of UNTRUTHINESS. Sometimes, another blogger's posts about purging will encourage me to unburden my shelves of Books I Will Never Actually Read, but then I unfailingly find that same book somewhere and buy it again, forgetting that I got rid of it in the first place.

Now. I used to feel mightily odd about my library- not that I have one, but that I have such a big one when most people my age have such big...kegs...or Playstations...or...whatever other people have who don't read (the answer: nothing important). I'm pretty much over that. TURNS OUT there are lotsa folks like me- they just don't live around here.

ONWARD, CHRISTIAN SOLDIER! Part uno- how has blogging changed my reading habits?
Well. It hasn't changed them so much as refined them. I started this blog because I read mostly classics and couldn't find another blog with the appropriate level of snark ABOUT CLASSICS. This reading of the old jank is still the general state of affairs round these parts. Other examples of refining: I would try a YA book every now and again (pre-blogging), confirm that YUP, I still hate this, rinse, repeat. Now I try the genre a bit more frequently because buzz? I is a sucker for you. But the results are the same. For example, I recently read Uglies by Scott Westerfeld and loved it notreallyIhatedit. So, I suppose I'm more adventurous, but the outcome isn't really different. My tastes are unalterable! I am sullenly unchangeable!

I do listen to audiobooks now, which is new. I also read a good bit more contemporary adult literary fiction than I did pre-bloggyblog. The Bookrageous podcast sells me on a lot of stuff that has gathered in stacks around my apartment that I haven't gotten to (why hello, A Visit From the Good Squad and Crimson Petal and the White, and Skippy Dies, and Mr. Peanut, etc..) BUT I'M TRYING. Good intentions? I haz 'em.

Summary: Me gots mucho books, always have, always will; still think YA is kljfaneuichdf, trying to read more contemporary fiction but I have to dig my copies out from under the entire backlist of Dickens' work.

16 comments:

  1. Great post! I still refuse to listen to audiobooks, I read the books I probably would have read anyway and don't really get this YA book trend, so I guess I'm pretty unchanged too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I never thought much of YA - but it's certainly not kljfaneuichdf. In fact, certain YA is doing quite a lot of good (and is also quite well-written). I do agree that lotsof YA, though, well... you know... (thoughts on Twilight omitted).

    ReplyDelete
  3. So...talk to me more about the Voldemortishness of Amazon. What small boy are they trying to vanquish? I'm legitimately curious...or perhaps you have an old post on the subject? Commencing search.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had a similar experience with YA buzz. I keep seeing reviews of YA books, they sound amazing, then I read them and think ehhh. They aren't bad, just maybe not my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Justabookworm: Get on the audio train! Makes doing laundry so much less boring.

    Adam- Pshaw, I say! (Commence crotchety old man voice) Young whippersnappers don't need their own genre, they're smart enough for adult adult books, blah blah, back in my day we read Dickens in 6th grade, none of this vampire crap, blah blah (end old man voice)

    Sara- I don't have a post, but basically- Amazon's icky price control gouges publishers, puts small indie bookstores out of business, and makes reading less about culture/enjoyment and more about popularity and cheap-itude. A more accurate term would be "the Wal Mart of publishing." Here's a good article on it: http://www.alternet.org/books/149124/is_amazon_evil_

    Melissa- They are eehhh. I don't get it at all. Young adults are still adults, meaning they can handle adult themes and are presumably smart enough to handle adult reading levels, so...why is it even necessary?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd never heard of audiobooks before I started blogging. I also started to get a little bit out of my comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post -- I agree that book blogging certainly opened my eyes to so much about the book industry -- Amazon, Borders, publishers and authors, distribution, etc. Really fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  8. p.s. Yay for your BBAW win! That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to love YA. I mean, I read a LOT of it before I started my little blog. I also read a lot of fantasy and science-fiction. And I didn't see anything wrong with it.

    Now, when I take a break to read something "fun," I am often left disappointed. I do see some good in some YA titles, but there is a lot of bad writing and hooky story lines, know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still don't really do audiobooks. I think that is something I really should branch into...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I may be the only book blogger who still buys books from Amazon marketplace because really, $4 is $4 compared to the Indie bookstores where it's $24. So yeah, bad me for still supporting Voldemort, but hey, $4 is $4.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was put on to the audiobook thing from Erin from Erin Reads, and I'm definitely a convert. Given that my walk to work is 45 minutes either way, that's a whole extra 1 1/2 hours of reading a day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you are out there, Amanda. Nice to know I am not alone! I have a hard time getting myself to read anything that was written before about 1930.

    This has always worked out real well, until now. I am in the process of self-publishing my first book, and since I haven't really read anything new in a long, long time, I find myself at a disadvantage.

    For the sake of my first literary offspring I am trying desperately to come into the new millennium, and that has meant learning about twittering, blogging, etc. Hence I found this blog, to which I am indebted for making me feel so much less like a dinosaur.

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree... YA does have a ton of junk-food, fluffy books, but they also have some amazing authors... John Green, for instance, writes like a YA author but his books can be read and enjoyed by everyone. They're deep and meaningful, and much better reads than Uglies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know, this post is very nearly a year old (I'm a new viewer, doing some backreading, what). However, the sentence "still think YA is kljfaneuichdf" made me go CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

    I sincerely recommend The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope. It's amazing. It's fantasy, which doesn't seem like it catches you much, either, but it's a golden standard of both genres.

    That's all! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete