Monday, September 26, 2011

Banned Book Week's Virtual Read Out; Read That Shiz With Your Lips!

Rebecca at The Book Lady's Blog turned me onto Banned Book Week's Virtual Read Out, wherein myriad bookish types take to the interwebz to do lip service to their favorite banned tomes. I decided to do an excerpt from Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell, which has been banned because of the racist language. It heart this book's face with such intensity that I named my oldest son Rhett, so I thought it was only fitting to champion it for Banned Book Week, or as I like to call it: The Week Were We All Metaphorically Pull Down Our Pants And Moon the Book Banning Idiots Worldwide.

Anywoot, I selected one of my favorite parts of the beginning of the book, wherein Rhett explains to gathered Southerners at a party how the South is doomed to lose the Civil War, if war does come. It comes. They lose. Sorry if that was a spoiler for you. So, sit back for 120 seconds and let me regale you with a tale.


7 comments:

  1. Hey, look at you! I love that part of Gone with the Wind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the lovely reading! I'm just now enjoying Gone With the Wind for the very first time. Good choice of book, and excerpt. I think perhaps you have inspired me to do a quick video readout, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A double Woot out to Amanda, GWTW, and Banned Books Week. We're celebrating over in my neck of the woods, as well!
    Cheers,
    BCC

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished Gone with the Wind earlier this month. Rhett is the best and I loved that part. I have a post on it halfway completed. I'll have to get a move on it so I can post it for banned books week.

    The video is wigging out on me, so I'll have to try again later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gone With the Wind is so high on my re-read list. It's been about 10 years since I read it and I loved it so much. The passage you picked was just prefect and it reminded me of the depth the the movie couldn't quite capture.

    ReplyDelete